Wednesday, October 20, 2010

More Info...

Well, I can't believe it...after a couple years or more of researching online, reading books, and talking with other adoptive parents...I just can't believe that we have finally started our paperwork to adopt!  

We are adopting from China!!


In the summer of 2008, I believe, was when I first said, "I might adopt some day...maybe a little girl from China."  Since then, I researched domestic adoption and many other countries.  We were continually led back to China each time.  The Lord took a little "I might adopt from China some day" and turned it into a passion for orphans.

This blog was created for this purpose...to keep a record of our adoption...with the name "A Path to Another Rhodes".  It's crazy that for the first time we are actually on that path to our third child.

It's funny...I think I'm kind of in shock.  I have been the passionate one and the one who was very excited.  It was Dusty who finally said, "We need to do this and we need to get started."  For him to say that and take the lead was totally awesome.  But now it's left me in shock.  =)  When you talk about something for so long, it's a very surreal feeling that it's actually happening!  It's almost like we switched roles a bit!!  I think I just understand (more so) how much paperwork we have to do and I know that it'll take a little while and I'm just being cautious.  I'm sure that once I have the paperwork done and sent off and we get logged in, that the rush of excitement will return.  I mentioned this to our International Social Worker and she said that she's heard many women feel this way.  I was glad to hear that!




We've sponsored a little girl at Shepherd's Field Children's Village (SFCV) in China since the beginning of the year.  Her name is Fu Yuyao and at SFCV they call her Sierra.  We fell in love with her sweet little face and knew that we needed to sponsor her.  We've enjoyed getting updates and new pictures of her.  We checked earlier this year to see if her file was ready to be adopted.  We found out that it was still being prepared and could take a couple of months.  





Just recently, when Dusty said, we need to get started...he really said, "We need to check into Sierra's file again and see if she's ready to adopt yet."  So that I did!  It was a true role reversal when Dusty would get home from work and ask..."Did you get to call the agency today?  Did you hear back from so-in-so?  Did you email so-in-so??"  So, this time, when we checked into her file, we found out that she had been matched with a Chinese-American family in the beginning of the summer (2010) who decided not to adopt her because of developmental delays.  (Apparently Sierra didn't have teeth and couldn't stand on her own on her first birthday in May.)  We could NOT believe it!!  We, of course, felt the urge and the push to get started with paperwork.  We've since found out that she is not on any shared list right now either.  (Is this a God thing??  Is this child meant for us??)



Here are the most current photos of Sierra...

(You may notice that Sierra is standing in one of the pictures and another picture you can see her little teeth!)



As things are always changing in China, the newest thing is to write a letter to the orphanage that she originally came from and basically request to adopt her.  We had to explain how we could help her.  We have had help from a sweet lady with SFCV.  She will translate our letter and send it to the orphanage for us.  This all happened a couple weeks ago, but I haven't heard back from her yet. 
 

With all of that said about Sierra...we are well aware that if she's the little one the Lord has for us then it will happen.  And if she's not the one for us, then we will know that God knows best for Sierra and for us and we will need to be okay with whatever He has for us.  This is another reason I have been cautious.  I think subconsciously I've been protecting myself.  I don't want to start thinking too far ahead when we just don't know right now.  The one thing I do know, is that I want to be in His will and not my own.  He knows best.

We've started the home study process.  We want so badly for all of this to go faster, but it seems that this paper work process can only go so fast.  I'm up for any suggestions for those who have "been there done that"!  I've been looking ahead and starting things that I know that they will ask for...like the autobiography.  Boy, it's hard to sum up ones life.  We've also started the Hague education online.  I'm concerned that with the holidays coming that all of this will slow down even more, so I'm hoping that we can keep trucking along and get as much done as we can.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to China several years ago. I visited a friend who was busy "rocking babies" in one of the many orphanages. She named one those babies and spent three months loving on her. Then it was time for her to come back to the states. But she'll never forget that baby. And I'll never forget my experience visiting her that day. And seeing all of those beautiful girls waiting for a home. Everytime I hold my own daughters now, I think of the babies that need homes. Just last week, my four year old daughter asked if we could adopt a baby. And I just answered, "I hope so."

danielle-laryn said...

Alyson, omgosh! how exciting! i havent been able to get any email for about 2 weeks,, until just now! i started going back through it all and at the same time i was thinking of YOU and wondering how everything was going, and then ...i saw your email and checked on your blog and omygosh!! adopting?!yippee!!

i know someday we will meet and we will show off our beautiful little girls to each other! we are still waiting to hear anything, 5 months now; trying to be patient... will let you know! keep posting and wishing you all the best!!

{darlene} said...

this is wonderful news!! I am so happy for your family that you are following God's leading. May he lavishly bless your family!