Sunday, January 30, 2011

FAITH




Okay, so I've been thinking a lot about faith...and how it compares to logic.


I remember saying to people before, "God gave me a brain and I'm going to use it!"  Meaning...I am smart and I'm going on what my knowledge says.  I meeeean...right?  Isn't that what that statement means?


I googled the definition of each and here's what I came up with...




Faith is the confident belief or trust in the truth or trustworthiness of a person, concept or thing.







logic  A method of human thought that involves thinking in a linear, step-by-step manner about how a problem can be solved.  Logic is the basis of many principles including the scientific method.  

Now isn't that interesting???  Logic is a method of HUMAN thought.


I found this as well... 






Since faith implies a trusting reliance upon future events or outcomes, it is often taken by some people as inevitably synonymous with a belief "not resting on logical proof or material evidence.


I don't use that phrase mentioned above anymore.  I don't care if I don't make sense.  If scientifically or logically speaking, you can't make what I say "add" up.  If what I believe in, or trust in, or the way I'm going to live my life...if you can't figure our WHY I'm doing this or WHY I'm doing that...FAITH has a lot to do with it.




Now Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.  Hebrews 11:1



Reminds me of the old DC Talk song "Mind's Eye":


In my mind, I can see Your face
As Your love pours down in a shower of grace
Some people tell me that You're just a dream
My faith is the evidence of things unseen


Can you catch the wind?
See a breeze?
Its presence is revealed by
The leaves on a tree
An image of my faith in the unseen


Why do so many people make me feel like my faith means that I'm stupid?!  Like I'm not thinking something all the way through?  


Like I should be thinking logically?  Where do you draw the line?  Or do you?


You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did.  And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,"  and he was called God's friend.  You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.
James 2:22-24

 
I can't remember the Bible ever mentioning logic.  Can you?  




What are your thoughts?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey babe! This is the first time I am commenting on your post....

Although I have been reading your blogs periodically, I am impressed on how you put your thoughts into writing. You are really a special writer and I believe you are speaking to others through this blog about the importance of FAITH.

Even I was strengthened a bit more this morning when I read your post. Most specifically, I really like the song you quoted which asked "Can you catch the wind? See a breeze?". This clearly shows the analogy of FAITH and the WIND/BREEZE--you can't see it, but you know it's there. The PRESENCE of this FAITH can be seen in the ACTIONS (like Abraham offering his son) and in the movement of the leaves on the tree (representing the unseen wind / unseen belief in the Lord).....although one's ACTIONS are not the way to salvation ("For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith....it is the gift from God..." EPHESIANS 2:8-10), it is clearly obvious that one's ACTIONS are the result (evidence) of one's FAITH. Without FAITH, some of the actions would not be done, and therefore, not accomplishing God's plan.

This is why we continue to trust in HIM: "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails" (Proverbs 19:21). If it is meant to happen in God's plan, God will guide us in completing His plan. Just as you have always had it laid upon your heart to adopt, it has been His plan all along for our family to do this. This is best summarized in Jeremiah 10:23 when it reads "...that a man's life is not his own; it is not for man to direct his steps".

Keep blogging babe! You are strengthening me each day!

Alyson said...

Hey babe!! Thanks for commenting!

I really enjoyed talking with you this morning about this post. I appreciate your encouraging words and thank you for understanding me. I love you more than words can express.