Wednesday, March 16, 2011

On being judged...

No, I'm not talking about being judged in heaven.  I'm talking about being judged by others.

After researching this and thinking and praying and reading...I've come to realize that not all judgment is "bad".  For instance...

"Watch out for false prophets.  They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.  By their fruit you will recognize them.  Do people pick grapes from thorn bushes, or figs from thistles?"
Matthew 7:15-16

We are told here to make an evaluation or judgment of fruits.  It says clearly here that we will know false prophets by their fruits (or behaviors, because fruits of the spirit are:  love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control...and yes, I still sing the song in my head to remember them all.)

The word judge is also used in cases like...

I speak to sensible people; judge for yourselves what I say.
1 Corinthians 10:15

I believe that this is just asking you to make up your own mind of what you think.  I found it somewhere else for it to mean "weigh carefully and form an opinion or consideration".

But I'm not speaking of the word judge to mean anything from above.  I'm speaking about the word "judge" that means to condemn.


"Do no judge, or you too will be judged.  For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.


Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?  How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?  You hypocrite, first take the plank our of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from  your brother's eye.


"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs.  If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces.
Matthew 7:1-6

 In the Matt 15-16 it says that you must make a judgment in order to recognize false prophets, but in Matt 7:1 is says not to judge others.

I believe that the difference is in the way you judge and why.

First off, we should not have a self-righteous judgmental attitude.

I read that it's easier to be unrighteous and non judgmental OR righteous and condemning but Jesus desires that we be righteous yet non judgmental. 

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit but in humility consider others better than yourselves.
Philippians 2:3

"Amazing grace how sweet the sound who saved a wretch like me"  Yep...we're all wretches who need the Lord!

Secondly...We are not to judge the motives of others. 
 Judging motives is judging someone's heart.  Only the Lord knows our heart.  The bible says that we may point out sin (Matt 18:15-16), but not to judge another's heart.

"I the Lord search the heart and examine the mind, to reward a man according to his conduct, according to what his deeds deserve.
Jeremiah 17:10

And thirdly, we are not to judge hypocritically. 

 This goes back to Matthew 7:1-5.  Someone who is quick to look for others little faults while they're blind to their own serious sins is a hypocrite.


I know that to some extent, we all judge others from time to time.  I'm definitely not claiming to be perfect, we are all sinners every.single.day.  BUT, I've been hurt by someone judging me.  I've analyzed it over and over in my head and I wish that I could put it all out there so that I could get some wise counsel from many of you, but I just know that it's not the right thing to do.

To make things worse, I feel like this judgment was of my motives...a judgment on my heart.  This person has made it clear to me that I'm not understood, they don't know my character, they don't know my heart.  And at risk of sounding "holier-than-thou", this person just doesn't have the "spiritual eyes" to understand where I'm coming from.  I do know people who don't have those "spiritual eyes", but they have never made me feel the way that this person did.  It's so hurtful and disappointing because I thought this person understood me and I've let this person "in".

I don't feel just judged...I feel persecuted.  Maybe that's melodramatic to some.  I feel judgment from people often, it never feels good, but it's usually the "they're sizing me up" kind of judgment and when they get to know me, it usually goes away.  What went on here is totally different.

I think we judge people all the time just in our thoughts.  I personally, ask the Lord to prune me.  I don't want to judge in the wrong ways.  But again, it usually happens in thoughts and no one even knows about it.  What happened here is totally out there and I'm left with no other way to feel.

Have you ever felt so judged by someone that you now feel uncomfortable around them?  Now will they always be misunderstanding you?  And passing judgment?

How do you deal with it when you can't "get away"?

How are you to know when to be a witness and be used by God or when to stay away from those false prophets?

A 10 foot wall is now up.  

Ready for me to make this situation even stickier?  This person has no idea what they did!

I've thought about confronting this person, but honestly, with the claims that were made, I don't want to look defensive.  Also, I'm not sure that this person will "get it".  I feel like it'll be a waste of time...this person is "always" right, if you know what I mean.

I've been praying that the Lord will help me forgive this person...completely.  I've been praying that MY heart will change.  I've been praying that I'll learn how to kindly and respectfully speak up instead of always letting things "roll off my shoulder". (which I now think I've let happen too many times and is part of the reason, maybe, that this person feels that they can talk to me the way they did.)

A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.
Proverbs 15:1

Tomorrow I'm going to share what I've learned about forgiveness.  

2 comments:

Warren Baldwin said...

Good points.

TanyaLea said...

You have MUCH wisdom in you, my friend... MUCH wisdom! Turning to the Word is the BEST thing you can do in this situation. I've been in your very shoes. I was so hurt by this person, that I felt there was NO way I could ever have a relationship with them again until they understood the depth at which they hurt me, and then they would need to humbley ask for my forgiveness. [pretty self-righteous of me to think this way, I know... but I'm just being real here, and that's TOTALLY how I felt and believed I was right in feeling this way, even as a Christian.] But God used my aunt to show me otherwise. It was His Holy Spirit speaking through her, she was simply a willing vessel, who was just loving on me with spiritual correction. So fast forward after that conversation took place with my aunt, and I knew in my heart she was right. I began praying just as you have, for God to change MY heart [even though I knew I was right! LOL!! ;) j/k] Seriously though, that is what I prayed. For Him to give me a spirit of forgiveness for this person, and as I prayed and continued to pray this, he gave me a supernatural softness for this person, and I was able to move forward. Eventually something came up regarding it again, and I let her know how I felt, and when she began 'denying' and trying to turn the tables, I felt the sparks inside begin to ignite again. But I 'purposed' to calm those feelings and simply told her that we would not go anywhere dredging things up, except backwards, so that we would just have to agree to disagree. Afterall, I knew I would not be changing her mind ...she's another who is 'never wrong.'

To this day, I still walk on eggshells with this person. there have been times when I thought the walls had completely crumbled, only to realize that we do not have the same 'spiritual eye' that the Bible speaks of with the guidance of the Holy Spirit in us, and that I simply have to control how much I allow this person into my life and the amount of time I give to her. I realized that until there are significant spiritual changes in her life, it would continue to drag me through puddles and I would be 'casting my pearls' where they need not be.

So trust in the wisdom you have, continue to press towards that forgiveness (LOVED your 'forgiveness' post, BTW!!) and choose your company wisely (at least who you "let in" so-to-speak! ;) And when you do this, you will begin to see breakthroughs in other areas of your life. They are simply tests you are passing that lead to greater maturity both spiritually and in the natural. You are a very WISE and mature person, and I cannot wait to see the blessings God has in store for your future!!

BIG Hugs,
~Tanya