Thursday, March 17, 2011

Our Treasure

First, I would like to say thank you to Linny at  A Place Called Simplicity for caring so much about orphans and making it possible for us, who don't have such a great following in the blog world, the chance to share our story to the many that read her blog!  Thank you, Linny!

My (or our) adoption story began in the summer of 2008.  It was then that the thought of adoption came out of my mouth.  Since then, I've prayed, researched, and prayed some more and simply "maybe wanting to adopt one day" turned into a passion for orphans.  I'm completely burdened by it and I know that the Lord has more for me to do in this life.

We researched many countries, including our own, and always came back to China.  I wasn't 30 at the time, which a requirement of China, so we waited.

We officially started our adoption process in October 2010!!  And I officially turned 30 in November.  I will say that this is quite the roller coaster of emotions!  It's hard to stay overly excited on a daily basis.  Not to say that I'm not excited, it's just life.

Now let's back track a bit...

I will never forget the day after Christmas, 2009.  I finally had time to sit down and "search" again, now that the holiday had passed.  I came across the Philip Hayden Foundation through a blog I found.  I scrolled down looking at all of the tiny faces on the page.

But there was one that stuck out the most!!  A sweet little girl, named Sierra, who is known to have heart disease.  My heart felt incredibly heavy.  I showed her to Dusty, (my hubby), and said that I felt that we are to sponsor this child.  The verse and command, James 1:27 ( Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after the orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.) was laid so heavily on my heart, that even if it wasn't the Lord's timing for us to adopt, I felt that we were responsible to do something.




That's when we started sponsoring Sierra.  We've thoroughly enjoyed getting updates, this past year, on this precious girl.  We found that the ultrasound on her heart has come back normal. And her pictures always had me AND Dusty "ga-ga".  Just silently in love with her.

That's when I said, we should check into her file!  BUT, the only thing we learned then was that her file was not ready yet.

Fast forward to fall(ish) 2010, we received another update, we both stared at the update and we were silent.  If you would've seen our faces you would've said that they were all mush...like the face of someone saying, "Awwww".    It was Dusty this time that said, "We need to check into her file again".  I remember smiling very big, with eye brows raised and I remember being shocked.  This was my man taking the lead!  I didn't waste a minute.



This is what we found out...Sierra had been matched with a family that summer.  The family decided NOT to adopt her.  Why?  Because she had no dental eruption and was not walking at the time of her first birthday.

In my head I was asking, "Oh my goodness, Lord!!  Was she not matched because she's ours???"

I wish that I could answer that question for all of you readers...but the rest of the story hasn't happened yet!  All I can say is that we started the process and we've about finished our home study.  We've written a letter to the original orphanage that she came from, asking if we can adopt Fu Yuyao (Sierra).  This is something pretty new in China, usually you would not be able to ask to adopt a specific child.

From what we know, the orphanage "named us as parents", which sounds like it's a celebration, but it still needs to go to the CCAA.  Not until she is matched with us will we have complete assurance.





Everyone says it, but it's true...adoption is a huge leap of faith.  Our family does not have thousands and thousands of dollars sitting around to adopt.  In fact, we don't have any money sitting around!  It was probably the most faith driven thing Dusty and I have ever done in our lives.  What's logical is not always right.

I was told once, of a Beth Moore bible study, that she said you can be missing out on blessings that the Lord has for you...and that blessings that you miss out on are like unwrapped gifts.

That image is still in my head.

As of right now, I will admit that I'm slightly discouraged with how long it has taken us just to complete the home study.  I get anxious at the thought that we might not get to her by the end of this year.  I can't stand thinking that she's just there waiting, getting older, and missing out on getting to know her forever family.  I know that it's in the Lord's timing, but I was reminded by Linny's Memorial Box Monday post this week that the Lord cares about the little things that matter to us...so imagine how much he cares about the big things!  I was also reminded of the post that I had written a while back on praying specifically.

So, yes, we need prayer...

...that this process will go quicker than we could ever imagine.

...that we will not be anxious, but lean on Him and have peace.

...that Sierra will be matched with us very soon.

...that Sierra will continue to grow strong and healthy (by the way, she totally has teeth now and is walking!)

...that we will have the money that we need when we need it so that we will not go into a huge amount of debt. (the next amounts that we will need is $1800 due to the agency at the completion of the home study, which is any day now...and $890 to send to immigration.)

...that the Lord will show us fund raising opportunities that would be right.


I pray that I will have good news to share about Sierra very soon.  We have hope that she is ours, but either way, this child has a special place in our hearts, and will forever.

Thank you for stopping by.  Please let me know that you've visited.  I always enjoy the positive comments and appreciate them more than you know.  


(I said that I would be talking about what I've learned about forgiveness today, but when I saw that Linny was doing this, I wanted to jump at the opportunity!)

10 comments:

Lorri said...

Praying for Sierra! I enjoyed reading your story so far.

Anonymous said...

Prayed for you guys and Sierra today!
Brooke

Kat said...

Praying! What a wonderful story you will be able to share with her one day!!!

Warren Baldwin said...

Amazing story. Joining the others in prayer. God bless.

Shannon said...

Absolutely beautiful story that is continuing to be scripted by our most creative-&-gracious God! I am praying for you and your sweet family- which I'm trusting will soon include Sierra!

Tutus for Emma Grace said...

We just adopted from PHF in October 2010. Our Emma Grace lived in the House of Peace. I will check my pictures to see if I have any of Sierra. PHF is the MOST amazing place! Our stories are similiar- we were waiting for my husband to turn 30 (Nov 2009) and our dossier was sent and logged in Dec. 7, 2009. We were matched in may 2010 and traveled in october. We love our girl! Looking forward to following your story. Are you on facebook?

Jennifer said...

Praying for your little one!
I'd love to follow along on your journey. :)
We'll be starting our own in the next month!

TanyaLea said...

Oh Alyson ~ I totally know where you are at, as we also sought out our Khloe's file. You already know the outcome on that, but things did not happen at all how I imagined they would. When it seems like even having faith as small as a mustard seed is a stretch, then keep stretching, because HE IS ABLE and HE CARES deeply about the things that burden our hearts (He often is the One who placed them there to begin with) and He wants us to continue to share with Him the desires of our hearts. Hey, we have not because we ask not, right!? So know I will be asking and praying right along with/for you!! Our God is not limited to any system and so I refuse to ever place Him in a box. Praying for all the divine favor you need to bring your girl home, both with the match and provisionally. We know very much where you are at, as we are still paying back our trip to bring Khloe home, over 10 mos later. But she's worth EVERY bit and more!! I would love to share our story with you one day.

And thank you for your comment on my blog today. Your prayers are appreciated more than you know!!

God bless you, friend! I can't wait to watch as your story unfolds. Just know this... if Sienna is meant to be your daughter, then there is nothing anyone can do to close the doors that God has opened for you, when you continue to seek Him. And if for some reason He has "shown you one, to lead you to another" than there is nothing you can do to open that door. It's all about how much we trust Him with unfolding His plan/design for our families. And it's clear to me, you are leaning on Him! Keep speaking the Word and keeping positive... afterall, life and death are in the power of the tongue, so keep choosing LIFE!! I can't wait to celebrate when you get your exciting news!

Blessings and Hugs,
~ Tanya

Alyson said...

Thank you all so very much for praying for our family! It means so much and I feel incredibly blessed that you all are out there lifting us up!!
XOXO

Mom Of Many said...

Thank you for linking up. I am just getting around to reading all the stories. God is amazing and I love how He totally takes our prayers and turns them into longings for that same treasure - there is no doubt that God is at work...and He will move every single mountain and obstacle to bring her home - watch and see!!