O be careful little eyes what you see
O be careful little eyes what you see
There's a Father up above
And He's looking down in love
So, be careful little eyes what you see
Then it goes on to:
Be careful little ears what you hear...
Be careful little hands what you do...
Be careful little feet where you go...
Be careful little mouth what you say...
I have to admit that this song has been something that I've thought about a lot since the beginning of this year. It's crazy to me that a children's song could suddenly give me an "AH HA!" moment. The funny thing is that I haven't heard the song in years...it just came into my head one day. It's a very simple thought...be careful what you expose yourself to, but why has it taken me THIS many years to finally GET IT.
Turn my eyes away from worthless things;
preserve my life according to your word.
Psalm 119:37
I started to see how what I choose to surround myself with makes a big difference in how close I was to the Lord. I could wake up and be in a great place, but I would ruin it by listening to something that would take me out of the zone. (if you know what I mean)
I noticed that the kids would sing to whatever I had on to the radio. It's amazing how quickly they can pick up songs. What we were listening to wasn't the absolute worst thing I can imagine, but it wasn't the best either. I felt guilty for feeding my children that when I can feed them MUCH better things.
Do not love the world or anything
in the world. If anyone loves the world,
the love of the Father is not in him.
1 John 2:15
I decided in January to just not listen to a certain radio station at all anymore. I never told Dusty what I was going to do, or the kids, I just did it. I thought that it would be really hard not to listen to it anymore, but it hasn't been a big deal at all. We don't only listen to Christian music, we still listen to secular music sometimes, but it's thought out before just putting it on.
The eye is the lamp of the body. If your
eyes are good, your whole body
will be full of light.
Matthew 6:22
We bought a worship CD from our church and it's really great. After a couple weeks of listening to that in the car...THE KIDS WERE NOW SINGING THAT!! What a small change that has made such a big difference. I also dug out my old DC Talk CD...wow!! So many memories as I listen to these songs!! Also, they mean something more to me now. And when I hear some of the lyrics it's like....WOW! This can speak to me this many years later! I've also taken the opportunity to share with the kids what some of the songs mean.
For instance, I've always loved the analogy of faith compared to the wind in the song "Mind's Eye". I explained what it was saying the other day in the car and Ty brought it up at the dinner table last night! That boy is a sponge and totally understood the analogy!
I have many other things that need to change, but I feel great about changing that one thing. Little by little, I pray that I can focus more and more of my day on the Lord and be careful what I expose myself and my family to.
So we fix our eyes not on what is seen,
but on what is unseen.
For what is seen is temporary,
but what is unseen is eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:18
Now I ask all of you...what other CDs can you suggest for me and my family???







1 comment:
oooh this is a good one! this past year for me too i have felt such a strong urge to break away from my more worldly habits...things that aren't necessarily "bad" but not really great either. music, books, magazines, tv...too worldly but oh so hard to give up!! but slowly, slowly i make choices that are better for me and our family...it's hard to have 2 masters isn't it?? one, is God, but the other is the world...both so appealing but they do not go hand in hand! baby steps, i keep telling myself!
Post a Comment